The German Geological Society/Deutsche Geologische Gesellschaft - Geologische Vereinigung (DGGV) was founded by Alexander von Humboldt and Leopold von Buch in 1848. The founding of the DGG included the establishment of a library; since 1992, the University Library in Potsdam has held these collections as a permanent loan.
The holdings are divided into two sub-areas due to developments in German history: The partial library in Berlin includes holdings from the years 1848 to 1845; the partial library in Hanover contains holdings dating from 1945 to 1992. Since the transfer of the DGGV library to the University Library in Potsdam, the exchange program has been continued in the name of the DGGV, which has to further growth in the collection.
The book holdings can be used through the mechanisms provided by the University Library at the University of Potsdam. In addition to books, journals and serials, the collection also includes geological maps.
The key maps from the DGGV are map sheets of the geological special map of Prussia and the Thuringian states from 1853 to 1943. These map sheets have been completely digitized since 2013 and are available through the Digital Brandenburg Portal of the University Library in Potsdam.