What is ORCID?
The Open Researcher and Contributor IDis an internationally recognized identifier for scholars and scientists. The University of Potsdam has been a member of the German Consortium ORCID DE since 2016.
Increase the visibility of your research and get connected - use ORCID and you and the University of Potsdam will benefit from its advantages!
Connect your publications on publish.UP with your ORCID profile via ORCID Claiming in BASE - in just a few steps.
Publications and the Internet
- All you have to do is submit your ORCID when communicating with publishers. If the publisher is a trusted party, then they have access to all of the information they need.
- It is easy to find you, despite name variations, name changes, and different spellings.
- Your publications are uniquely attributed to you and can be found even if they are not listed in international databases.
- You can use your ORCID and your profile for your entire life, regardless of employers or research areas.
- Your publication list with ORCID is always up-to-date if you allow trusted parties to perform automatic updates.
Use your ORCID for applications and reports for research funding organizations and external funding bodies; this reduces administrative effort significantly. You can provide these parties with access to your profile and the research work documented there.
Use your ORCID in your scholarly communication. You can make required information available through your ORCID profile.
- Aside from your name and ORCID, which are always public, you can decide who sees what on your profile (everyone | trusted parties | only me).
- You can determine which rights are granted to trusted parties.
- You review, change or withdraw rights at any time in the account settings of your ORCID profile.
- Do you already have an ORCID? If you’re not sure, search ORCID for your name.
- Include all of the different spellings and variations on your name, including your birth name if applicable, in your profile.
- The following generally applies: the more information you provide, the more effective your profile will be.
Make Crossref and DataCitetrusted parties. We also recommend granting Web of Science (Researcher ID) and Scopus (Scopus Author ID) this status if your publications are listed in these databases. Enable data exchange for these trusted parties.
Please use your ORCID for all scholarly activities – especially when contacting publishers, applying for funding, at congresses and conferences, on presentation handouts, and whenever you can set your ORCID in Internet and research forums.
Crossref and DataCite are non-profit-organizations that provide identifers (DOI) for full-text and research data. If DOIs are linked to your ORCID in their databases (this is done by publishers, for example, if they know your ORCID), and you have granted trusted party status, then your publications automatically appear in your ORCID profile.
The ResearcherID and the Scopus Author ID are the proprietary identifers for authors in the Web of Science and Scopus databases.
To make these organizations or databases trusted parties, please register directly at:
The University Library offers additional information and aids on the subject of affiliations and author identifiers. Please contact Universitätsverlag Potsdam (University Press) for more details.